Saturday, 8 February 2014

Grim weather! Great birds!!

The weather forecast was pretty grim today but heavy showers with sunny spells could be the right mix for Beddington Farm. I got up early for a Saturday and toddled off with my bag crammed with kit and bad weather gear....
(Armbands required!)
However on arrival at the farm the Hide was completely flooded with the lakes joined at the middle and the water level was rising! This is the first time I have seen the water this high! With more rain forecast this was not a good situation to be faced with! Wind rain and no cover!!
(Glaucous Gull)
Garry Messenbird and company had travelled up from Sussex to see the adult Glaucous Gull that was found by Devilbirder in the week. This bird had been seen a couple of times from the obs!
(Glaucous Gull photo Devilbirder)
I made an executive decision (and what a good one it turned out to be!) and legged it home to get my fishing brolly which would allow me to sit out the weather to come! As I left I saw Pinpoint and told him what my plan was and of I went driving back through heavy rain.
(Brave souls!)
I timed my windows perfectly slipping back through the gates in sunshine and set up my kit. The rain was on its way and Garry and co left. Pinpoint and I were now ready to sit it out and hopefully this madness would pay off!!
(Kittiwake photo Pete Alfrey)
It wasn’t long before my eagle eyed friend shouted Kittiwake and started rattling off shots. I locked on to the bird in my bins but didn’t even get to raise the camera. The bird seemed to be checking out the two loonies under the brolly and then flew off towards the South Lake!

Nick Gardener passed by stating he had seen the adult Glaucous Gull on the South Lake. Bulldog turned up shortly afterwards searching for this plumage tick for him. Pinpoint left the temporary hide and was replaced by Bulldog. Another shower later and the Glaucous Gull paraded itself along the top of the ridge of the mound at the East side of the North Lake. I bit of shuffling around of the gulls and it disappeared out of view showing briefly as it flew up to re position itself among the masses of gulls behind the ridge.

I sat it out until 3pm and attempted to get to grips with the new camera! This is definitely a work in progress. With only three weeks until I fly out to Paraguay I need to get a shift on! Two Egyptian Geese were the only additions to the day list.

No comments:

Post a Comment