Saturday 24 March 2018

Lincolnshire - Friskney and Frampton RSPB - Not THE Owl!


In birding terms I am having a bit of a crisis. I missed the Stone Curlew that flew through Beddington Farm. This was a SVC and Beddington tick. I have also pursued the Snowy Owl and failed but took another jaunt this time into Lincolnshire to Friskney hoping my luck would change! I spent the morning searching the area with a posse of birders but sadly the bird was not relocated during the day.

I spent the afternoon at Frampton Marshes RSPB which was en route home. The reserve was a pleasure to walk round with birds everywhere. I recorded fifty species and probably missed a few along the way! I likened the experience to a year patch watching at Beddington Farm in a single day!
I also came across an Owl but sadly not of the Snowy variety but a Barn Owl that was quartering a ploughed field. The bird did not seem troubled by my presence on the footpath landing on a nearby fence post during its hunt.
Shorebirds were well represented with wintering Spotted Redshank, Redshank, Black tailed Godwit, Golden Plover, Oystercatcher, Avocet, Ruff and a Dunlin.
Waterfowl included Pintail, Pochard, Teal, Tufted Duck, Gadwall and hundreds of Wigeon. There were probably Shoveler too but I did not manage to locate this species.
The geese were represented by a few Barnacle, a large flock of Dark Bellied Brent and regular Greylag and Canada Geese. The camera was kept busy as I made my way around the reserve. There had been a Spoonbill earlier on in the day but all I could find were Little Egret.

I was so glad that I spent some time at this reserve it bought back memories of my early birding days where whole days were spent in this fashion hide hopping with my Collins Guide open in front of me as I learnt the features of the regular species!

I was still gutted I had missed the Snowy Owl but I believe my luck will change I just need to tweak my game!

No comments:

Post a Comment