Thursday 24 May 2018

Beddington Farm - The Tern Chronicals!


During the night I awoke amidst a rain storm and wondered for a few seconds where I was. The rain was pounding the roof and the guttering was overflowing. I came to my senses and realised I was at home and not in the middle of a Paraguayan tropical storm!

The rain continued on into the morning and there was no alternative than to get the heavy duty waterproof gear out and trudge my way to my corner through the flooded causeway to the south lake.

The weather was ideal for the Farm with a NE wind, low cloud and of course the rain! The news started building up through the morning with another invasion of Black Tern. Could this be the day my Farm duck would be broken with the appearance of this species! 
The day was overall quiet with a local Red Kite and Buzzard making an appearance. Raptor of the day appeared early evening in the form of a Hobby that twisted and turned in pursuit of a hirundine meal!
I was prepared for a long stake out and was not going to leave until all possibilities had dried up! Team Daiwa to the rescue during the worst of the rain and yes I was once a fisherman!
News continued to flow throughout the afternoon and into early evening but despite my efforts no Black Tern entered the airspace!

Swift were present in number with a couple having to take evasive action as they were confronted by the man under the brolly! 

No rain forecast tomorrow but the N/NE wind continues!

No comments:

Post a Comment