Tuesday 14 August 2018

Republic of Georgia - Batumi Bound!!


Tomorrow at stupid o clock another adventure begins. My destination is the Republic of Georgia Eastern Europe. I will be joining the Batumi Raptor Count for a seasons counting as one million raptors (birds of prey) migrate through the Batumi Bottleneck.
I have watched many videos of the migration and I have spoken in the past of venturing east to witness the spectacle! I have been preparing for this trip for some time now and trust everything comes together in the field. I have even stepped up the fitness regime with the mornings climb to the viewing station in mind!
(Beddington skywatch from the corner!!)
As with all forms of bird data collection it will be a game of patience with long periods of empty skies and the odd day of rain preventing migration but when the birds arrive the numbers will be phenomenal! The moment will remind me of the line in the film poltergeist where the girl sits in front of her fuzzy TV and exclaims “They’re Here!” The anticipation factor will tide me through the lows. I have had plenty of them raptor watching at Beddington Farm!!
The last day before travel can be a dull affair sitting around with only the kit left to pack. The arrangement of kit has become an easier task with practice but there are always must be included items even if their initial purpose is not totally clear. One such item is the Amber and Chocolate of Sutton United! I bet this shirt has not been seen this far east before!!

I remember taking a Vialli 9 shirt away with me to Borneo many moons ago and parting company with it after a hotel concierge took me to a local soccer match in Sabah. The manager of Sabah was Ken Shellito and the late David “Rocky” Rocastle was the team midfield general! It was a fair exchange and the guy was beside himself when I presented him with the shirt on my last day!


The soccer aside (which I will miss!) the forthcoming experience will add a new element to my ornithological journey teaching me counting and recording methodology for migrating raptors. My identification skills should spike I will just have to remember to breathe as the waves of raptors pass overhead!! With any journey there is the opportunity to meet like minded people from all corners of the globe.
If you would like to know more about BRC and the raptor count please click on the banner (link) at the end of this post.

I am not completely sure of how good the wifi connection at the base is but if I can I will update my progress on here. If not I will be posting like a maniac when I return to blighty in eight weeks time!!

No comments:

Post a Comment