Thursday 7 May 2020

Epsom and Walton Downs - April 2020!

The sighting of the month came on Epsom and Walton Downs on the 30th and what a corker it was. I was on alert that there was a MEGA lurking in the area but it could be anywhere if it had not already moved on!


The site always has potential which I guess is the reason my visits are more frequent these days. Once away from the racecourse you can escape the masses that use the area for recreational purposes. The ploughed fields show great potential and the hope that I will lay eyes on my next SVC17 prize Stone Curlew! A species that I have regularly missed in the county due to visiting more exotic parts of the planet!
This MEGA was not a Stone Curlew but a Eurasian Hoopoe which had been forced down by the heavy rain. The next few outings I perceived to be taxing with every field hosting the potential of accommodating this species. As things turned out the bird was very obliging and also made an appearance the next day calling before flying off! Was it just saying goodbye! The bird has not been seen since!
I recorded Wheatear during the month with a small fall of 3 birds and a Whinchat in the early part of May.
Red Kite and Buzzard were regular along with a potential meal Red Legged Partridge!

What a fantastic ending to the month. This was my second record in SVC17 the first at Beddington Farm on 15th April 2018. My SVC17 list remains at 238 species!

No comments:

Post a Comment