Saturday 11 July 2020

Dorset - Arne RSPB - Happiness on the Heath!


I was up at stupid o clock to take the short journey to Arne RSPB which has a mix of habitats including woodland, heathland and the Poole Harbour estuary. The Osprey was not seen today but the estuary had Curlew, Black Tailed Godwit, a couple of Greenshank, Little Egret and numerous gulls. Photography was limited on the estuary due to bright sunlight and distance away whilst at the top of the heath.
The heathland held Dartford Warbler which was still very vocal and confiding along the Heath trail. A Woodlark was also seen in this area.
Siskin are a species I don’t get to see that often but they gave themselves away in the trees with their nasally call.
Stonechat was numerous throughout the heathlands the adults busy feeding young at the nest.
The skies were also productive with Hobby, Kestrel, Buzzard and a Raven that remained in the area. I remember a few years back a pair at Corfe Castle. I covered the whole site during my visit and must say some of the views were amazing. eBird list here . 

Back to the smog tomorrow but I hope to be back in Dorset in a couple of weeks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment