Monday 13 February 2023

Dorset - Charminster (Dorchester) Water Meadows - Ross's Gull!

 

Thanks to an early heads up from Simon I took an afternoon jaunt down to Charminster (Dorchester) Water Meadows to bag only my second Ross’s Gull. My first bird was also seen in Dorset on Ferrybridge but it was a twitched from London. Today’s journey only took ten minutes but I had spent most of the day doing tourist stuff less than half a mile away!

I was surprised at how close to the road the bird was on the wetland. The bird was alone with the rest of the gulls further back on the meadows. The bird took a short flight after a lorry sounded its horn but seemed content feeding sitting a couple of times between bouts of foraging.

The bird was still there before dusk. The meadows are parallel to the B3147 before the BP Garage if you are travelling from west of Dorchester town. I have left a map for it to fly roughly northeast where it will become a patch tick on the Farm’s meadows. Hugo is also on high alert should the bird make that short journey!

Tomorrow may be an interesting day! Thanks again Simon!

No comments:

Post a Comment