Friday 15 September 2023

Dorset - Puddletown Water Meadows and Bardolf Farm - Fog Mixes up the Migrants!

Thick fog greeted me as I prepared to spend a day on Bardolf Farm. Nevertheless I ventured out hoping that something had got lost in transit and would fly over the almost dry meadows! The two ponds are attracting a variety of species at the moment so this was to be my main focus for the day.

There were a few Spotted Flycatchers within the environs of the Causeway Lake. The surrounding bushes are loaded with berries so the early slightly blurred hours were spent in this area. There was plenty of song therefore I kept my ears pinned back for anything unusual!

Once the sun began to break through there was a small movement of hirundines which generally headed north to find clearer skies. After a thorough search of this area I moved up to Waterbarn Cottages and the hedgerow lined fields surrounding the grain storage barns.

A couple of Stonechats were spied at the edge of the lagoon dropping into the mixed seed and Sunflower field to feed. I moved down to North field and noticed a Reed Warbler making its way along the hedgerow at the east end. I took up position on top of a pile of chalk to get some pictures. The bird did not call at any point during the photo shoot!

Mid afternoon I moved down to Burleston Lake and took up a leisurely position sitting on the garden furniture that no doubt features in many a family picnic! There were also Spotted Flycatcher here and it was amazing to watch the birds hawking insects with the sun as a back-drop over the lake! 

No comments:

Post a Comment