Tuesday 20 February 2024

Dorset - Portland to Radipole RSPB - An Early Migrant!

A trip to Portland this morning where fog greeted me as I drove up the hill to the Observatory! I went down to The Bill and tucked in for a short sea watch. The Auks were numerous with Gannet joining the passage of gulls. The only species of note were a couple of Fulmar.

I returned to the observatory and where a couple of Common Scoter was picked up as they negotiated the coastline. The fog had cleared but I decided to move down to the harbour to catch up with the grebes and divers.

A Black-necked Grebe had been seen close to Billy Winters the previous day and it did not take long before it was noted. There were a couple more birds but they were much further out! The Great Northern Diver was also at distance but I had better views from my next stop.

The Sailing Club (near Sandsfoot Castle) gives a view across the harbour and the small group of female Common Scoter was seen in amongst the buoys!

The last stop of the day was to catch up with a Swallow that had been seen for a second day at the Visitor Centre at Radipole RSPB. Studland had the first UK record on 9th February 2024. The mild weather has also seen a House Martin at West Morden both locations are in Dorset!

No comments:

Post a Comment