Sunday 15 February 2015

Vice County Birding!!

I spent Saturday morning at the Farm walking the SE corner with Glen. I had good views of Woodcock which had been inadvertently flushed during the walk. My binoculars seemed to be glued to my face as I heard Glen repeat “Photo photo!” as the bird flew taking a circular flight path. Needless to say there were no photos of this magnificent bird. Water Pipit and six Green Sandpiper were the other notable species seen.

Saturday afternoon was spent at Thursley Common in search of a Hen Harrier which had made a few appearances on the common. A Merlin had also been seen by Ed and Matt but on this day neither graced me with their presence.

I was off on my travels again on Sunday. My first stop was at Tices Meadow, Badshott Lea which is undergoing a transformation which will surely bring more rarities to the area. I saw Richard Horton en route to the vast expanse of water and flooded meadow.
(Black-necked Grebe)
My target bird was a Black-necked Grebe which took a while to show itself but gave good views when it did. I really must carry my digi-scoping equipment with me!!
Prior to locating the Grebe a flock of lapwing were seen in flight but I could not remember seeing Golden Plover amongst them. Good thing I check the flock a second time whilst it was on the flooded meadow. A couple of Golden Plover were stood amongst them. I’m not sure where they appeared from but this is a good site to see this species.

Thursley Common was my next port of call, the overcast weather was clearing and the afternoon was spent stood on the top of Shrike hill looking for raptors. Common Buzzard were the species seen but the Great Grey Shrike made an appearance along the SE edge of the hill.
(Mistle Thrush)
On the way home I popped into Crooksbury Common to see what came into roost. A Mistle Thrush put in an appearance (my 1st of the year) along with Chaffinch, Goldcrest, Coal, Blue, Great and Long tailed Tits.

No comments:

Post a Comment