Wednesday 25 July 2018

Sutton Surrey - Raptors Garden Delight!


I am a few weeks away from joining the Batumi Raptor Count Georgia Europe for a seasons raptor count. I have been preparing for the trip by burying my head in Forsman’s Flight Identification of Raptors of Europe, North Africa and the Middle East.

To enjoy the book and take advantage of the glorious weather I park myself in my almost scorched garden. My actions are not welcomed by the local House Sparrows who regularly visit the feeders situated in front of the apple tree and Buddlea bush. The Sparrows are very messy feeders and this has attracted a small group of Feral Pigeon who have joined the breeding Wood Pigeon.

The Sparrow’s are becoming more adventurous flitting onto the feeders with one eye firmly on any movement I make. A juvenile Robin was also observed amongst the visitors this afternoon. The pigeons are not so brave preferring to occupying the roof tops nearby.

I was just immersing myself in the plumages of Booted Eagle when all hell broke loose in the garden. The dozen pigeons scattered flying low over the garden sending the Sparrows for cover. This could only mean one thing a raptor overhead!
A moment later a moulting Red Kite appeared at the north end of the garden disappearing behind the ivy covered apple tree. It was now my turn to fly into the house and lay my hands on my camera. Why all the commotion for a Red Kite you may ask?! Well this was a new species for my garden list and the first addition since a Stock Dove was feeding in the garden on 19th Jan 2015! I successfully negotiated the front room and ran out into the street expecting the bird to be over the house by this point. I can only imagine what the neighbours were thinking… About the nutcase from number … was doing now!

There was no sign of the bird so I returned into the back garden camera in hand and a few moments later the bird was clocked circling above the garden. Garden tick number forty four Whew!
The entertainment did not end there as a falcon made an appearance at a higher level to the Kite. I can only surmise that one of the juvenile Peregrines was making its way back to the established nest in Sutton.

Not a bad twenty minutes and I managed not to injure myself in the moments of panic! Woo Hoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment