Monday 25 February 2019

Australia - VIC - Dandenong Ranges National Park - Lyring in wait!


The Danedong Ranges National Park was where the quest for the Lyrebird continued. What initially appeared to be the most unlikely locations along Ferntree Gully Lyrebird Track proved fruitful having spent the day walking amongst the masses of runners that traverse the steep stairs and narrow pathway up and down into the creek. The morning was heaving with people but a couple of runners reported that birds had been seen particularly near Emergency point two along the track. I plotted up off the path completing the circuit which appears to be somewhat of a badge of honour for the local people! It is very steep in places!
(Eastern Yellow Robin)
I moved the suv up to One Tree Hill Walk picnic area had lunch and waited for the sun to drop and had my fingers crossed that the people pressure would diminish as the day progressed. I continued with my earlier tactics completing the downhill course without success. There were only a few people around and just before I had reached Emergency point two (walking uphill) I saw a Superb Lyrebird walking down the scrub to my left. It saw me and turned just as a jogger bounded down the stairs I indicated for him to stop which he did in the mean time the bird was striding off into the scrub. I sat in the scrub hoping for a photo opportunity bus saw the bird drop over the path out of sight. Despite a lengthy wait the juvenile bird did not show itself again so that was it quest over!

No comments:

Post a Comment