Saturday 23 February 2019

Australia - VIC - Toolangi State Forest - Quest for a Lyrebird!


Toolangi State Forest was my first stop on the trail of the Superb Lyrebird. The first blow to my quest came early with boardwalk replacement work having began at the car park at the top of Quarry Road. I spoke to the ranger who stated the birds were present in the area but the work would minimilise the chance of seeing them. 
I went to the upper car park and took a 10km walk from there the loop covered the area being renovated. Gang Gang Cockatoo were regularly heard with one group stopping briefly by the road. Forest birding is always a test for photographers with many views high in the canopy or fleeting in poor light.
Rufous Fantail were regularly seen and were super hyperactive bouncing around with tail fanned but unlike the Grey Fantail their interaction with me was always brief but a spectacular display of the rufous tail band served as a warning with each encounter.
I saw a Rose Robin during the walk but it was mid level in the canopy and distant. A Flame Robin was more obliging in the picnic area but I think it had its eyes on my lunch!
The above species I am not sure about. My initial thoughts were a female Honeyeater based on bill shape body length and long tail but have not identified it at the time of writing.

No Lyrebirds during the 3 – 4hr walk through the forest so I moved on to Mason Falls spending the evening there without success! I still had other Lyrebird site options lined up but would I get to see this bird!

No comments:

Post a Comment