Tuesday 1 October 2019

Holmethorpe SP - Curlew on the Sand!


The soccer season is well under way which means my time is limited particularly at the weekend. With rain sweeping across the country something was bound to turn up in SVC17. The “Law of Sod” was at its best as I received a message from ardent Holmethorpe SP patch watcher Gordon that there was a Curlew Sandpiper on Spynes Mere!


The bird has remained for four days taking advantage of the sandy and mud islands which have been created by the transfer of water by pipeline to Mercers West. I arrived in the middle of a shower which turned into a monsoon like downpour during my brief stay. The bird was happily feeding away with a Common Sandpiper on the closest and largest of the islands.

This is my second SVC17 Curlew Sandpiper. The first was at Beddington Farm on September 6th 2011.
Thanks Gordon for the early heads up it was a shame I had to wait so long to get there!

No comments:

Post a Comment