Tuesday 8 September 2020

Epsom and Walton Downs - A Day on the Downs!

I have recently been confined to barracks whilst some repairs are carried out on my house. Today I escaped the carnage and spent most of the day on Epsom and Walton Downs. I had no intention of returning home any time soon therefore decided to kick every bush in search of migrants!

I decided on a circular route starting at Tattenham Corner working my way down past the Grandstand where migrants of the day were found. 

A couple of Wheatear was parading themselves along the white railings as if they were waiting for a race to pass by.

It turned out that this was the norm with Pied Wagtails also lining the route. I’m not sure what the going was but the menu was appetising as birds swooped down to snatch insects that ventured beyond the cover of the turf.

The cloud was low for most of the morning which should have kept any migrants low in the sky but there was a complete lack of Hirundines. As I made my way through Langley Bottom Farm the migrant list was still lacking.

I then ventured through the fields towards Langley Vale Wood and spoke to a Volunteer with the Woodland Trust who confirmed what I had just experienced a lack of migrants through the area so far this autumn.

The search continued through fields and patches of woodland with the evening spent on The Gallops scanning the horizon. Meadow Pipit passed overhead but still no hirundines. I took a Tattenham Corner Fish and Chip break returning to watch the fields that the farmer had started reaping. I wonder if the geese will return to these fields to feed and roost! No geese today, but it was the first day of cutting.

The last interesting fact of the day was no thrushes seen the local birds must still be in heavy moult.

A tough but very enjoyable day in the field with 9hrs spent in the field with 9.54 miles covered and 37 species noted ebird list Here!

No comments:

Post a Comment