Saturday 26 September 2020

Epsom and Walton Downs - Wheatear With a Grandstand View!

It has been a very testing couple of weeks which has left me drained and my internal batteries in need of a re-charge. During my working life I found I could re-set the balance in my mind by immersing myself in the splendors of the natural world by watching birds. I would then return to the madness refreshed and ready to take on the evil within the world! I have found this process still applies to me today as events unfold and uproot memories from the past!

I chose my location very carefully today seeking solitude away from mankind. I took a now familiar circular route around Epsom and Walton Downs. There was an element of ground-hog day to this as I picked up a Wheatear on the course in front of the Grandstand. There were Meadow Pipit, Linnet and Pied Wagtail in this area.

I moved on around the racecourse towards Langley Vale and spent time in a mixed area of scrub and trees. This area has looked good for chats and today did not disappoint with a couple of Stonechat that were using tops of shrubs to view potential meals on the ground below.

There were certainly more migrants around today. Chiffchaff were seen moving through patches of woodland that are scattered all over the site.

At Langley Bottom Farm Swallow dropped down during a short shower hugging the tops of the fauna as they negotiated the fields. Another Stonechat was located within the confines of the Farm. The burst of foul weather did not deter it from grabbing lunch.

The weather deteriorated as the afternoon progressed but Nuthatch, Treecreeper, the resident Red Legged Partridge were all seen. Thrushes were also taking advantage of the abundance of berries on the bushes.

Thirty five species were recorded in total. eBird list Here

My thoughts are with the families that have lost someone dear to them! 

No comments:

Post a Comment