Saturday 2 January 2021

Dorset - The Fleet and Random Lane - Barn Owl Bonus!

I do love it when the brain which is apparently concentrating on other important matters suddenly kicks into gear prompting a series of stealth like actions! Confused well this is how the story goes…

I had spent a very pleasant sunny day on The Fleet and had decided on the scenic route back home through the lanes. I was driving along a narrow lane humming tunes and checking the road was clear ahead! My brain registered a fleeting glimpse of a Barn Owl quartering a hedge line.


Before I knew it I had parked up and slid my way out of the car similarly to being under attack from a sniper and the bulkhead of the car was your only protection. I made it to the rear of the car and popped the boot to get my weapon (camera!) and then waited using the cover of the rear of the car. A sniper would have popped me by now! I'm thankful no one filmed this!

The bird had obviously seen me by this time caught its dinner and then did a cheeky “I know you’re there” fly-by my head before heading back home! I have seen Barn Owls do this before but within proximity to their nest or roosting sites.  I guess on this occasion the bird was just being nosy or just plain showing off!

These priceless moments had also solved a number of internal debates over what was I going to use photo wise on my blog tonight! The Fleet is loaded with birds but it is is not very photo friendly particularly with the equipment I carry.

Therefore despite seeing Slavonian Grebes, A group of Long-tailed Duck a Great Northern Diver and a Velvet Scoter (which was not located until early afternoon). I had very little to show for the day in the photography category! Best effort above!

The problem had now been solved by my favourite family of birds and who said we can’t multi-task!

No comments:

Post a Comment