Sunday 3 January 2021

Dorset - Portland and Maiden Castle! - Usual Suspects!

Today turned out to be a collection of bits and bobs. I started out at stupid O’clock checking Radipole RSPB for gulls before light which incidentally only had a handful of gulls on the car-park. I swiftly moved on to Portland Bill where I hankered down behind the rocks but still managed to get a tad cold despite the extra layers!

I only saw a single Purple Sandpiper but I guess any sensible Sandpiper would have be hidden in the rocks to maintain body heat!

There was a cast of regular species that went through the bill. Bucket loads of Auks, Gannet, Shag and a couple of Kittiwake and Fulmar.

On the land the Rock Pipits had abandoned the rocks and were feeding near the Café. It was a bitterly cold morning. I cut my losses mid morning and made my way up to Easton but did not see the moulting juvenile Rosy Starling. The bird had shown an hour or so before my arrival so I ventured on to cover Portland Harbour.

The mass of Mediterranean Gulls were at Ferrybridge along with Ringed Plover and some Dunlin. Brents were also present but not in large numbers.

From here I returned to Radipole RSPB and sifted through the Gulls and ducks before heading back inland to Maiden Castle. I therefore missed the Iceland Gull that was showing in the Harbour but I think the cold had got too me by then so this stake-out will wait for another day!

Maiden Castle had its usual array of Corn Bunting and Stonechat which were lining the field that held 246 Golden Plover! I had thawed by this point and took a clicker to count the flock!


I dropped in at Silverlake and checked the River Piddle flood-plain before returning home but once again there was nothing out of the ordinary to report!

No comments:

Post a Comment