Saturday 14 August 2021

Dorset - Puddletown - Garden Mothing!

Pete wasted no time in setting up the moth trap in my garden and I was curious as to what would be drawn in by the light. The street lights also go off during the night which would assist in pulling in any moths in the area.

Each species of moth was photographed the next morning and released. I quickly realized the benefit of having a seasoned moth man at the helm. I can’t imagine how long it would have taken to identify everything from scratch!

Over the three days one migrant was lured into the trap a Silver Y.

A Magpie was the most interesting moth of the first nights haul.

A Yellow Barred Brindle was found on the wall.

A total of 24 species were photographed with one that got away! I will add them all to my moth page in due course. the pictures I have picked out are moths that caught my eye and not necessarily for rarity value.

 

 Early Thorn.

Thanks Pete for doing all the donkey work!

No comments:

Post a Comment