Friday 5 November 2021

Dorset - Puddletown Water Meadows - Pinned Down!

I spent the day at Puddletown Water meadows which incidentally was not the original plan but there was plenty of movement through the flooded fields throughout the day. The morning was chilly and sunny but warmed up once the cloud moved in which kept everything low that flew through.

I also bagged another new species for my meadows tally in the shape of a Pintail. The only problem was getting some shots of it as it was right at the back of one of the pools. The heavy artillery was out (phonescope!). The bird seemed quite settled feeding in the sodden grass. Views through the telescope were much clearer confirming a female.

Fieldfare was on the move today small flocks taking advantage of the berry bushes that lined the back of the first field.

The geese had finally arrived in numbers with the majority Canada, a handful of Greylags and the regular pair of Egyptian Goose. I just hope something else will be dragged in during the daily movement around the water meadows.

I had my first view of a Kingfisher for a while as it fished from a low bush. It did not hang around for long once it had succeeded in its task.

There was a good movement of Wood Pigeon overhead with some groups stopping off en route south to rest in trees or refuel in the fields.

I listed 43 species during my vigil before a quick check at Athelhampton before dusk. The meadows here are much drier than this time last year.

No comments:

Post a Comment