Thursday 18 November 2021

Dorset - Weymouth Harbour - Harbouring a Little Auk!

A Little Auk has been seen over the last few days in and around Weymouth Harbour and Nothe Forte. Brett having re-found the bird after a day absence. Thanks for the heads up!

From my viewpoint this bird has shown how a certain amount of luck is required when chasing rarities. I responded to local news shot down to Weymouth parked at Nothe Forte and walked down the stairs to the Lifeboat station and bingo! There the bird was in full view just in front of the rudder to a moored boat! If I had arrived ten minutes later I would have had a lengthy wait to nail the bird!

As Charlie once said after I had left him too early in Chesil Bay dipping three Pomerine Skuas “Kojak if you wanted a easy life you should have taken up model airplanes!” This phrase regularly rings in my ears resulting in a quiet chuckle to myself! It was good to catch up with the regular birding suspects making the twitch a welcome social event!

I spent the rest of the afternoon watching Puddletown Water Meadows where the wildfowl and gull numbers are increasing which encourages me to spend more time at the site. I am still hopeful of jamming into something good at one of the cress beds!

No comments:

Post a Comment