Monday 28 March 2022

Dorset - Puddletown Water Meadows - Purple Patch!

A change in weather conditions was forecast for today and I wondered if I would catch up with some hirundines at Puddletown Water Meadows. I did as the cloud and cooler breeze closed in but I had to wait to 1224 before two birds flew E across the meadows. 

Bird of the day was another surprise (for me anyway) a female Goosander which suddenly appeared on the back pool which I believe links into the River Piddle itself. I have several methods of taking pictures (camera, mobile, old mobile set to digi-scope) but this bird was proving tricky to take any kind of recognizable shot of. I finally succeeded with a digi-scope shot which I included on my tweet.

I later bumped into the bird again as it was negotiating the River Piddle. Unfortunately the territorial Mallards took exception to its presence chasing it off in the direction of Athelhampton House. This proved to be my best photo opportunity but I would have preferred if the bird had been left alone by the guardians of the river.

Around the above events the now familiar sight of Red Kites kept me entertained. Two birds together at 1030. One bird (above) swooping down in the direction of the second bird which was much lower as it scanned the meadows. The Teal did not hang around once they were spotted.

Both birds drifted off together East towards Athelhampton House. The 2nd bird is shown above this paragraph.

At 1245 another Red Kite appeared from behind me attracting the attention of a couple of buzzard. This bird did not hang around gliding off SW.

That is nine Red Kite’s since the 17th March. Last year this would have been unheard of. I remember seeing a bird in January over the water meadows making double figures. I have pictures of all and will compare feather patterns to establish if these are returning birds or if this is just a good year for Kites!   

No comments:

Post a Comment