Thursday 21 April 2022

Dorset - Puddletown Water Meadows - Hide and Seek!

The vigil around the village continues with time set aside to train for another weekend on the turf. I relaxed my guard to enjoy the sun in my garden yesterday afternoon when I spotted four House Martin overhead. As I was watching these birds circle a Red Kite glided into view and over the garden. The bird was gone is as many breaths but looked a bit tatty with moult feathers missing on the secondaries in both wing. This is the first Red Kite I have not photographed during the wave of birds passing through. Abbotsbury Swannery had 48+ birds over their reserve the same day. That’s pretty impressive for Dorset but I suspect this is the start of things to come!

I set out at reasonable o clock this morning hoping for a few more Red Kite. I set my bar low which seems to compensate for any disappointment that a day may bring! I set up in my usual spot overlooking the Water Meadows and picked up a Sylvia Warbler in the hedges/trees bordering the field in front of me. Getting a picture of the Lesser Whitethroat was very tricky as they tend to stay within cover even when they are singing! This bird sang at irregular intervals all day as it moved along the boundary of the field. I threw the camera at it several times before catching it in flight along the bushes! A new bird for my Water Meadows list was finally nailed!

I was distracted by a female Goosander that suddenly appeared at the back of the far pool! Pretty much in the same place as the bird earlier in the year! This bird rested up for over an hour before moving on presumably using the waterways that connect to the River Piddle!

The wind picked up from the SE bringing in cloud as the day moved on. This improved my chances of recording a few hirundines as they made their way north/east. Sand Martin were the most numerous with fifteen, then House Martin seven birds and then Swallow with five very low flying birds. It is highly likely I missed birds that were out of my range of sight!

Mid afternoon a call from Brett stating he had seen a Black Kite over Weymouth heading towards The Fleet, this had me extending my stay at the Water Meadows. These birds are known to travel and could turn up anywhere and I had a vein hope it might pass by if I remained glued to the skies! No Kites today!

The cloud is in by mid morning tomorrow and hopefully something else with grace the Water Meadows with its presence! 

No comments:

Post a Comment