Wednesday 27 April 2022

Dorset - Puddletown Water Meadows - Passerine and Plant Patrol!

With another packed weekend on the turf ahead of me I decided to train and then head out to the Water Meadows today. A key factor in this decision was another early morning of clear skies. Cloud was due in later in the day and this might assist in producing some summer passerines in the hedgerows, scrub and tree lined river.

Brown Hare

I ventured out at just after three and parked up at my usual spot. I quick tally of geese and singing passerines and I was off traveling light to enable some metaphorical bush kicking! The evening can be productive particularly for warblers at this time of year. New arrivals seek to establish new territories and there is plenty of competition around to claim a spot.

The Lesser Whitethroat has been in good voice and appears to have settled in an area. The bird is heard far more often than it is seen. I was surprised to bag this species before Common Whitethroat which was to make an appearance at Home Farm late on before bombing off down the path with its mate?! I am certain there will be more obliging summer residents!

The Red-legged Partridge pair is seen most days but in completely different areas on each occasion. If one is found the other is hunkering down not too far away! Today they were down by the track before being spotted calling from one of the pipes.

The harrowed fields are now flat and windswept. I noted a Hare boxing match on the top field but I felt fortunate enough to have the only ring side seat! Post duel one individual seemed more relaxed at the edge of the field until it noticed me and scurried back across the ring!

Roe Deer are seen almost daily but this evening were much closer to the track. The wind had dropped allowing the evening serenade of bird song to fill the air. I am much more alert at this time of day and it can also produce something special that has plucked up the courage to show itself since its arrival!

I have also been taking note of some of the flouring plants during my wanderings. I am not going to pretend I know the first thing about wild flowers so have taken on board iNaturalist and PlantNet apps to speed up the identification process!

Along the River Piddle which is quite narrow and fast flowing in places I have found River Water Crowfoot.

In the fields between the schools:-

Crimson Clover
Red Campion
Dames Rocket?

I note that identification can still be tricky even with this helping hand! Any assistance is gratefully received should any of the above are incorrect or can be narrowed down further. 

No comments:

Post a Comment