Wednesday 11 October 2023

Dorset - Puddletown - Garden Moths!

I have spent the last couple of days on Portland with Pete Alfrey. His arrival prior to our adventure on the island instigates a moth session in my garden. I don’t have a trap myself therefore this is a rare opportunity to see what my garden attracts and maybe will encourage me to take the giant leap and purchase a trap. The other bonus is tapping into Pete’s knowledge in naming the majority of the species caught in the trap.

A Feathered Thorn (Colotois pennaria) which is common in Britain flying in the autumn from September to December. It is named from the male that has the feathery antennae.

Beaded Chestnut (Agrochola lychnidis) which is a very variable moth and is widespread in southern Britain flying from September to November.

Large Yellow Underwing (Noctua pronuba) which is an abundant moth in Britain flying from June to November.

I have taken reference from the following:- Field Guide to Moths of Great Britain and Ireland by Waring and Townsend and websites: ukmoths.org.uk; dorsetmoths.co.uk; 

No comments:

Post a Comment