Friday 13 October 2023

Dorset - Puddletown Water Meadows Bardolf Farm - Flying Visit!

 

I took a flying visit to the Farm this morning. There was a 3-4hour window of opportunity between the rain setting in. The good news after rain is there is a lot more liquid on the Water Meadows which inevitably encouraged a few duck to drop in. Mallard numbers have dropped but the first couple of Wigeon of the autumn were a welcome sight. A small flock of Teal was the only other offer on the duck front!
The wind picked up in strength as the morning progressed. The Collared Doves were gathering at Waterbarn Cottages. I remember a similar gathering in this area at around this time last year. Herring Gulls were moving over the ridge in small numbers. I checked the barns for chats but none were skulking out of the wind. The general count of passerines was low again due to the stormy conditions.
My last stop of the day was at Athelhampton where numerous Swallow and a couple of House Martin were hawking insects over the fields. One obvious leucistic bird caught my eye it’s a shame I hadn’t adjusted the camera settings from earlier!

In the evenings I have been working my way through my moth list which means I am now on a slippery slope into Lepidoptera! Moths list

No comments:

Post a Comment