Monday 27 May 2013

A Few Stragglers!

I took a trip to Oare Marshes today. I had arranged to get there an hour before high tide (2pm) but that idea was scuppered by a huge tailback on the M2 which disappeared after an hour in a jam with no clue as to what had caused it in the first place!

I arrived at high tide and expected the flooded marshes to be littered with waders but I guess most were on their breeding grounds. Forgot I was back in the Northern Hemisphere and it was Spring!

On the East flood was a flock of around 100 Black-tailed Godwits tucked away out of the wind. There was an Avocet and an Oystercatcher on the same flood. There were a handful of Common Tern feeding over The Swale and the floods. On the duck front a couple of Shoveler were also still present!
(Common Tern)
As the tide went out I sat on the bank out of the wind Yerba tea at the ready and scoped the area. A male Marsh Harrier was seen hunting along the Harty Ferry area of Sheppey. As more of the mudflats were exposed a small flock of Avocet flew into the shallow water on the Sheppey side of The Swale.  I heard a Cetti’s Warbler calling from the flood side of the marsh.
A single Turnstone was sat on the edge of a rowing boat obviously waiting for the tide to pass the boat. Energy saving at its best!

A very pleasant afternoons birding was had with a smooth run home. Rain is forecast for tomorrow this will limit my options but will it bring a late MEGA into the area!

No comments:

Post a Comment