Monday 18 September 2017

Costa Rica - San Francisco - Bird Conundrums!


The order of the day was a species census in San Francisco. The morning I would spend alone with Jane joining me during the afternoon to hopefully add to the mornings tally. The local people are very friendly inviting me into their gardens to look at my feathered friends. The local children are also fascinated and can’t wait to thumb through my bird guide to show me what birds they like or have seen. This is also a good opportunity to practice some Spanish which sometimes causes amusement amongst the gathering friends.
There were also some new birds added to my Costa Rican tally. A Lesser Greenlet was the first seen on the walk through the outskirts of San Fransisco.
A more familiar Ruddy Turnstone was on the shore but I could not re-locate the Short-billed Dowitcher Charlotte had during her shorebird survey. A pair of Pale-billed Woodpecker was observed pecking away at the trunk of a tree as I entered the village.

The mornings total was a reasonable thirty five species but there were some regulars that were missing off the list. Enter Jane the afternoons eagle eyed self confessed birder from Canada!
A tanager like bird was seen on the wires along the main path. It has been confirmed by Pete Morris as a moulting Summer Tanager. Thanks Pete.
The next species I have not identified yet but they were described as cute as they huddled together on a bush just off a paved path. The camera once again secured the evidence allowing further scrutiny of this species. - I think Yellow Tyrannulet!
The last conundrum of the day was a pair of yellow birds that were feeding amongst grass on the edge of the village. With so many species falling into this bracket the identity has not yet been confirmed which incidentally is a nice change from everything being a small brown job!... Ironically enough I think this is a Yellow Warbler!

The next few days are a mix of Turtle, Macaw census and further visits to San Francisco....

No comments:

Post a Comment