Tuesday 30 January 2018

Middlesex VC21 - Staines Reservoir - An obliging Lark!


Every once in a while it is good to escape the confines of the Farm and venture out into the world and catch up with developments. I did not realize that there would be witches, a wardrobe and the chance of bumping into a lion involved as Peter Alfrey and I discussed a trip to what the Surrey VC17 purists call Narnia! 

The conditions were ideal this morning with a slight breeze and sun which quickly burnt off the overnight frost. The journey also smiled in our favour having decided to leave after the rush hour madness. This did however restrict our time at Staines Reservoir as Pete had a pressing engagement at the Obs at around mid-day.
The Horned Lark which is one of forty two sub-species within the Alaudidae family originates from N America. It has been suggested that some elements of this group will be split and will be recognised as separate species.
The lark showed well parading itself along the catwalk of the bank taking time to feed in between poses. During our short visit the bird did not call but I understand recordings have been taken. Have any DNA samples been taken.
There was a reasonable flow of people along the causeway twitching this potential split of a bird.  I also saw my first Goldeneye of the year. The only species I have recorded at the Farm from the fence, that I have not seen as a keyholder.

On the return journey along the causeway we bumped into Franko who was as philosophical as ever. Yes we will come and see the Lesser Whitethroat (Eastern race) just make sure you put the kettle on!

4 comments:

  1. I hope that you enjoyed your little excursion to MIDDLESEX...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another bird I need to see before it gets predated or leaves. The list is growing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You saw the Twite which is a good bird to get on your list...There will be more I hope I have another good year I will certainly be putting the hours in again!

      Delete