Thursday 21 May 2020

Surrey SVC17 - May 2020 Diary Update!


By mid May migration slows down with many birds having reached their breeding grounds culminating in the cycle of life beginning for many. The daily search for migrants takes a more leisurely pace but neglect this period of the year at your peril. The days may seem longer in the field but there is always the chance that MEGA will pass overhead or feeding on a habitat in front of you!
Beddington Farm held a pair of Black Necked Grebe for a day. I was on Epsom and Walton Downs as the local drums announced their presence. This species is a night flier which meant I could take a leisurely visit to see my second of twelve site records of this species. My last record at the Farm was on 26th July 2007.
The Farm was fairly quiet after that with the seasonal rarity hunters dispersing to engage in other pastimes. On 19th May a Mediterranean Gull announced itself joining a feeding frenzy with the noisy Starlings who were taking advantage of the ever increasing bug life over the Farm. The bird has been identified as a 2nd summer showing black through the primaries. I caught up with Arjun during this visit who will soon become a welcome addition to the BFBG. A couple of LRP a Red Kite and a couple of Buzzard were the rewards on a very hot day along the path.

Follow the growing number of Beddington Farm path observers and latest sightings on ebird

The Black Kite season was well under way! I enjoyed thousands of this species during my season with Batumi Raptor Count as they migrate through the Caucasus mountains.  This species is still a UK tick for me, and a species which I have chased around the South of England. Sadly most birds I have connected with have turned out to be mis-identifications a seemingly common occurrence with this species but there are a few out there! See blog link for id guide. Black Kite

I also took a trip to Thursley Common and Thundry Meadows to catch up with Redstart, Cuckoo, tree Pipit, and Hobby. I witness several migratory Red Kite during my visit.

The latter is one of my favourite birding spots in SVC17. During my visit I staked out a shy Garden Warbler by the river.

Hobby and Cuckoo was also present during a very peaceful afternoon with the birds!

No comments:

Post a Comment