Tuesday 5 January 2021

Dorset - Weymouth Harbour - Ton Up With Iceland Gull!

 

I recorded my 100th species of the year today and it was fitting that the Iceland Gull that I had staked out at the end of last year filled that slot. The bird was showing more feather fading and wear through the primaries and secondaries than the last time we met.
The reunion was a good one this glorious Gull posing at times at close range so that I could take some shots. It paid particular attention to a fishing boat that was unloading its catch at the quayside. The local fish and chip shop was also open should the gull require seconds!

I returned a favour that had me bag the pair of Red Crested Pochard that was spending their second day at Longham Lakes. This species was shown as category A,E but is also has been added to category C with self sustaining population it Wiltshire. This species rare in Dorset and is also kept in collections further east. There were no rings or feather clipping on either bird therefore their origins could be favourable.


The pair did get some respite but this was only after a couple flights around the fishing lake in an attempt to shake off their attackers in the form of Black Headed Gull.

I walked to the south lake where a couple of Great White Egret was tucked into the island before returning to Weymouth and the prize of the day!

A late walk through Radipole RSPB resulted in a couple of more additions to my January challenge. I do not know when soccer will return therefore have to make the most of my time in the field!

No comments:

Post a Comment