Wednesday 5 January 2022

Dorset - Puddletown Water Meadows - Wild Goose Chase ends at Silverlake!

 

The Barnacle Goose that was likely in residence at Charminster Water Meadow spent its third day at Puddletown today. It was fairly mobile on its feet and tricky too see for periods of the day. I was hoping the Charminster White Fronted Geese would also drop in and pay the water meadows a visit.

Having spent most of the day in one place I decided to head off for a Hawfinch hunt. I stopped off at Charminster where the whitefronts had been reported around mid-day and to no surprise they were not there. I spoke to Simon and decided to divert to Warmwell Gravel Pits (Silverlake) to see if the birds had returned there as the previous day!

I noted half a dozen Black Tailed Godwit’s on Charminster water meadows before departing for Silverlake!

I arrived at Silverlake at 1530 and took up position locking onto the Whitefronts who were resting on the eastern end of the island on the east lake! The scope was maxed out as I attempted to collate a breakdown of adult to juvenile birds. I also took some dot shots and as I was looking through the pictures the group flew off leaving the Greylag’s marooned on the island!

Will they visit Puddletown tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment