Monday 20 June 2022

Dorset - Puddletown Water Meadows - A Pleasant Hobby!

I took a short jaunt to Maiden Castle this morning to see or hear if the Quail was still singing in the area of the main car-park. No joy on that front so I stopped off at the Water Meadows to see if there was any activity.

There was with reasonable numbers of hirundines bombing about above the pools and fields. Just after 11am a Hobby entered stage left causing a commotion amongst the House Martins. The bird did not stick around for long before it made its way SE. The picture above shows the overall slim build, rusty vent and dark striping through the breast.

It wasn’t long after that the Red Kite made the first of two appearances over the meadows. I have had so many sightings this year I have become almost blaze about their presence. There is at least one local bird as well as some migrating birds. More details here.

A mixed morning with a note to self to cover some of the fields in the area listening for Quail, The Hobby is another new species for my Water Meadows tally but I expect more to pass through particularly on good hirundine days!

No comments:

Post a Comment