Wednesday 14 September 2022

Dorset - Puddletown Water Meadows Bardolf Farm - A Good Start to the Day!

I dodged the early morning rain and then set out to cover the Water Meadows and Bardolf Farm. The pool on the former is expanding and four Wigeon were taking full advantage of this. This was a good start to the morning and had me wondering what else had been brought in by the rain.

I had seen the bird of the day a couple of weeks before but had failed miserably to get photos of. A flicker of tail just caught my eye as I was checking the pond. Tucked away in a sheltered area of trees, hedgerow and a fence-line was a female Redstart. A sub adult male and another Redstart made themselves known in quick succession hawking insects from the rough area of field in front of the hedgerow.

I spent some time watching the birds perform chasing each other around between gorging on the ample food source in the vicinity! Incidentally there appeared to be no security (Robins!) patrolling the area and the birds were left undisturbed! This was my 100th species for the farm but now photos were nailed and these were a different group of birds. The previous male was an adult!

Four 1stW Stonechats were noted along the fence above the River Piddle at Athelhampton. Cetti’s Warbler were also very vocal in this area!

I saw Hugo mid-afternoon and we had a chat and catch up on all birds seen recently on the farm. Hugo’s knowledge of the farm is always worth tapping into. He has seen over 170+ species on the farm compared to my 104. The area oozes potential but with all patches time has to be spent covering it to reap the rewards but even then nothing is guaranteed!

I spent the afternoon trawling the rough fields that looked good for Wheatear! This species is annual on the farm and I’m sure I will happen on one at some point!

Another highlight of the day was a Sika Stag that bolted down and across the valley. The stag was dark but the pictures were taken into the sun.

A group of four Green Sandpipers was noted early evening along the River Piddle valley! I had seen this species in a few places during my walk but was not certain if they were just the same birds moving around. At least this cleared the days count up!

No comments:

Post a Comment