Friday 24 February 2023

Dorset - Athelhampton and Bardolf Farm - To Call or not to Call a "Tristis"!

 It turned out to be quite a day what with ducking in and out the house to collect deliveries combined with doing the rounds on the Farm!

The Water Meadows was the first port of call and a rapid tree hopping movement of Redwing (242) NE between 1215 and 1235hrs!

The continuing mild weather has seen the fly and general bug population quadruple around the banks of the River Piddle! With that there was an increase in hungry beaks to feed! There was more Chiffchaff in and around the bridge at the sign for Athelhampton and the house!

One bird immediately caught my eye it had buff head and upperparts highlighting the green through the wings and pale breast which lacked any yellow tinge. “Tristis” immediately rang bells in my head so I put the camera to work! I knew from previous experience of this sub-species of Chiffchaff that the call would be required to nail its identity so I set up my pocket recorder and patiently waited for one burst of song which never happened! I also played its call which usually provokes a reaction from any matching bird but again not even a change of direction from the head!

I let Simon know what I had found which was a tad ironic having told him earlier on in the day that I had not seen much of late. Even the pair of Pintail had gone to Silverlake!! I then went home to collect a parcel! I downloaded a picture to my phone and tweeted stating I had not heard the bird therefore I was not prepared to confirm the bird as a Siberian Chiffchaff! I have since learnt that “tristis” is more common these days and is readily accepted on plumage detail alone. That prior knowledge would have saved some drama in my head! 

I recall back in the day at a different farm frantically scurrying around with Garry and with Nick in the hope of hearing the “tristis” call to confirm a Siberian Chiffchaff! A few got away and were not documented on that basis! How times have changed!! The saving element to all this was I had nailed pictures of the bird!

The remainder of the day was spent up at Waterbarn Cottages checking the feeding stations and the farm buildings for Black Redstart or anything else that might take a liking to the area!

No comments:

Post a Comment