Friday 31 March 2023

Dorset - Bardolf Farm - A New Species for My Farm Tally!

It was probably too much to expect to trump yesterdays 3rd record for Bardolf Farm in the form of Three Cattle Egrets! but does it not just come down to a question of scale particularly when patch watching?!

Today’s specialty a Tufted Duck was a new species for my Farm list and with two rivers running through the farm I was surprised this duck had not fallen into my grasp earlier! I have watched stretches of river in Surrey and along with Mandarin, Tufted Duck was a regular! Hugo informs me that Tufted were regular on the farm until recent years. Mandarin is very localized in Dorset and rare in the area.

The Tufted drake was in the company of a female mallard which caused a few issues on Devil’s Brook resulting in several “quack-offs” with the local Mallards! The Mallards were on a hiding to nothing as the Tufty tore down the river in pursuit of any drakes that had ideas above their station!

A lone Swallow flew south past my station and this was the only other bird of note in what was a dull day with a bonus to it!

The morale to this story is no matter how grim the weather is there is always a chance of recording something unusual!

No comments:

Post a Comment