Tuesday 9 May 2023

Athelhampton Bardolf Farm - Quick Duck!!

I took a stupid o clock skirmish onto the farm hoping that the previous days rain had grounded something of note! The water meadows were quiet with fog hanging over them preventing movement so I checked the passerines and then moved on to Athelhampton.

I was caught dozing as a drake Mandarin Duck flew low towards me departing SE. This is a new species for my farm tally therefore I was not amused at having missed the moment to put the camera to work. As luck on this occasion would have it the bird returned thirty minutes later landing on a pool near the small bridge! Fortunately for me my stay in this area had been prolonged by a displaying Reed Warbler!

I also noted double figure Swift during as the morning progressed with hirundines moving through at regular intervals. It is looking very likely I will pass the 100 species in a year as the tally is in the mid nineties with the Autumn reverse migration to come! Hugo's best year was 123 species! 

I have a game tonight therefore my day in the field had to be cut short after a ridge watch from the hide. My last game is on the 21st with a South West Regional Women’s Premier League Cup Final middle (referee) between Bristol Rovers and Bishop’s Lydeard on the best grass playing surface in Dorset! I’m looking forward to that one!

1 comment: