Wednesday 28 April 2021

Dorset - Poole Park / Stour Valley LNR - Duo of Ducks!

 The weather forecast was more suited to ducks which turned out to be quite appropriate as I add two species of waterfowl to my Dorset tally. The first a Garganey a migrant through the UK and a Mandarin originally introduced from the Far East.

A drake Garganey had found its way to Poole Park having originally been filmed on the main boating lake. I received this news via my birding pal Roly and set out to see the bird in reasonable haste.

On arrival a scan of the boating lake drew a blank but the smaller pond adjacent seemed more appropriate for this species. I could see a couple of birders on the far bank but noted the smart looking bird almost cowering under the bank of a small island on the lake.

This turned out to be very quick success so I turned my attentions to Stour Valley LNR where another drake this time in the form of a Mandarin had been associating with Mallards. I set about the task of tracking it down. It has been a regular on the River Stour but they can be a tricky species to find.

This bird was proving to be very elusive with a long walk checking every overhanging tree and crevice for its whereabouts. The walk back finally united me with the bird that was skulking in some rushes with three Mallard. I deployed skulk mode sitting on the lower bank waiting for it to emerge.  It did not take long and the bird re appeared leaving me satisfied having spent over two hours tracking it down!


No comments:

Post a Comment