Friday 30 April 2021

Dorset - Portland / Lodmoor RSPB - Standing Stilts!

 The day started at a sedentary pace as I made my way to Portland to spend the day trawling the island for migrants. A Pied Flycatcher had been found at Reap Lane by Pete Coe et al near the barns but my photography session with the female bird was cut short with news of a pair of Black Winged Stilt at Lodmoor RSPB.

A sharp about turn and I was heading back to Lodmoor hoping to connect with the birds. They were on one of the far pools viewable from the west side. The pair then decided to do a bit of their own exploration before settling on the post box pool side of the reserve.

I caught up with Nick and Glen at the twitch before returning to Portland to continue a rather later than expected sweep of the island. I covered Culverhouse and the top fields which only produced wheatear and the almost resident Merlin. A second walk round later on in the day was more productive with several Whinchat added to the tally.

I returned to Reap Lane via the west cliffs observing a low flying Peregrine close to the cliff edge. The Pied Flycatcher was still present but further along the lane.

A female Redstart was seen on the fence with a male Redstart hawking insects along the fence-line. Another Whinchat was also added to the days count.

I moved on to the Hump where the previous days Wood Warbler had been observed. There was no sign of this bird but Spotted Flycatcher was present with Chiffchaff and Willow Warbler. I then met up with Roly and Garry and did a circuit of the area with them. A singing Lesser Whitethroat proved to be elusive.

No comments:

Post a Comment