Thursday 29 April 2021

Dorset - Portland - Wood You Believe It!

I missed a good day on Portland yesterday but hauled myself out at stupid o clock this morning to have a wander around just in case a few stragglers were still lurking on the island. I linked up with Peter Coe and John at Reap Lane and was taken on an educational tour of the birding hotspots on the island.

The bird of the day was a Wood Warbler that was frequenting the Hump. The bird was very active completing circuits of the small area of woodland.

Passerines were numerous along the West cliffs consisting of Willow Warblers and a Garden Warbler which I missed as I was looking in a slightly different area of scrub. This species turned out to be bug bird of the day as I missed another at the Hump.

A Black Redstart was spied in the quarry area near to the Bill. I initially only saw the flash of its tail as a Wheatear attempted to shoo it out of the area.

I spied a tired bird a Spotted Flycatcher which was resting on a bramble bush along Culverwell. The bird had obviously been battling the elements to make it onto the island.

John picked up a couple of Hobby that had just come in off the sea. Both birds were powering through the headwinds. A low flying Yellow Wagtail was one of a couple of birds that were calling as they made landfall. Sea watching at the bill was very quiet with only a couple of Manx Shearwater among the regular fair! 

There was a handful of Whinchat spread around the fields along with numerous Wheatear.

No comments:

Post a Comment