Friday 7 January 2022

Dorset - Charminster Water Meadows - More on the White Fronts!

 

I completed a slightly different round today. The Barnacle Goose was still on the Water Meadows. I then passed through Charminster Water Meadows en route to my Hawfinch hunt. The White Fronted Geese were all present feeding along the various ditches on the flooded field. They were still present until mid-day.
The half dozen Black Tailed Godwit’s was still present along with a handful of Mediterranean Gulls. There were also good numbers of Common Gull but gull numbers were lacking but I guess they build up throughout the day. I had a dozen Snipe but nothing else of note.

Rain stopped play at my final destination and I cut my losses and headed for home.

On the home front a female Blackcap is a regular visitor to my garden feeders. The bird looks very fresh in its outer feathering and could be part of last year’s brood. The bird is quite content sitting at the feeders munching away at the husk free sunflower hearts.

A return to the turf tomorrow and the games are coming in thick and fast. Will the rain keep the pitches playable!

No comments:

Post a Comment