Wednesday 12 January 2022

Dorset - Puddletown Water Meadows - Pit Stop Plus Glossy Ibis!

 

I got home from the game late last night and had no plans to do much today but the sun had its hat on all day so I decided to venture out to the Water Meadows. As it turns out it was a good thing I did as a Glossy Ibis honed into view within five minutes of taking up my regular spot on the roadside.
The flock of Lapwing had taken to the skies which had me scanning the flock for a raptor or even a shorebird that might have joined the flock! The last thing I was expecting was an Ibis. I had not kept up with the day’s events on Twitter and was oblivious to any ibis moving around the county.
I secured some scope views and then in a minor panic threw the camera at the bird that was some distance away. My 300mm lens is quite limited at this distance but you can identify the bird with a bit of blurring thrown in.

I am certain had there not been a reaction to its arrival the Ibis would have landed on the flooded meadows and stayed a while! This could possibly be the first record of this species on the water meadows?? I will ask Hugo when I see him next!

The pair of Raven was far more obliging later on in the afternoon but they are reasonably regular here.

The find my own bird year has had a good start. Long may it continue!

2 comments:

  1. Nice one Kojak! It's always the unexpected surprises that are the best. Hoping for an Ibis at the Farmlands this year.

    ReplyDelete