Tuesday 4 January 2022

Dorset - Puddletown Water Meadows - Kite Flying!

 

I took up a familiar post at Puddletown Water Meadows this morning and noticed the Barnacle Goose was grazing in an area much closer than the previous day. A Mediterranean Gull passed through with Black-headed washing up on the flooded fields.

I was joined by Hugo late morning which triggered a moment of bird chaos on the meadows. A Red Kite had entered stage right whizzing reasonably low over the fields before moving on WNW and out of the picture almost as quickly as it arrived. That was an unexpected bonus and Hugo’s first January Kite over his land. 

The weather turned sour with a brief spell of sleet which had me move on to the other sites on my circuit. The Cress beds held Green Sandpiper which was again closer enabling the camera to capture the moment.

Little Egret are also regular at the sites that I cover. This bird re-positioning itself on the field as the staff mowed some of the cress from the beds. I completed my check of the fields down to Moreton and moved on to conduct a Hawfinch hunt which was un-successful on this occasion.

I notice the White-fronted Goose (11) have moved from Charminster Water Meadows to Silverlake (Warmwell Gravel Pits) I wonder if they will stop on the water meadows during their travels!

No comments:

Post a Comment