Thursday 1 September 2022

Dorset - Bardolf Farm and Puddletown Water Meadows - Time To Stop For a Chat!

I popped into the manor to have a chat with Hugo a couple of weeks ago to discuss the birds that have frequented Bardolf Farm over the years. Hugo has over 90 years of experience on the farm and there isn’t anything he does not know having recorded 170+ species over the years.

During the visit a good spot for Whinchat was mentioned to me and naturally the best time of year to record them moving through the Farm. I found a suitable vantage point on the hill overlooking the hedgerow and returned today to see if I could add another new species to my tally!

I spent the early morning walking the Farm which includes Puddletown Water Meadows and perched myself at the same spot just before mid-day. The cloud was rolling in and would you believe it a couple of Whinchat were seen sparring with each other above the hedgerow!

It took a while for the birds to get within camera range but the opportunity was not wasted when they did! As the afternoon progressed five birds were noted along the hedgerow and on the hill itself. Hugo had this one down to the day! Species 101 logged for the Farm!

A couple of juvenile Stonechat joined in with the afternoons festivities before I moved on to check the lakes.

Two birds even had time to stop for a Chat!

The Little Grebe have successfully bred this year rearing three chicks that were oblivious to my presence unlike the parent who clocked my position called and with a small splosh! disappeared from view!

Next on my wish-list is Wheatear but I will have to wait for some ploughed fields first!

No comments:

Post a Comment