Friday 9 September 2022

Dorset - Puddletown Water Meadows Bardolf Farm - Not so Common Sandpiper!

The day did not start early. First stop was the TV and then there was a scramble to get to the Farm and onto the hill before the heavens opened! I made it in the nick of time and boy did it chuck it down during parts of the day! There were some brief sunny periods that bought the warblers out from cover. Blackcap and Chiffchaff were regular!

On my way to the hill I managed to creep up on a Common Sandpiper which was on the River Piddle near Waterbarn Cottages. This is another new species for my farm tally but I had been expecting one therefore I had been taking every opportunity to creep around near the river rather than bounding about like a herd of Elephants! The bird was still present this evening when I passed by!

The rest of the day was spent on the hill scanning just in case something else dropped in between showers. There was a good variety of raptor today with Buzzard, Kestrel, Sparrowhawk and a Peregrine that all took the opportunity to dry their wings!

All football has been postponed therefore there will be more time to spend in the field and who knows what that will bring!

R.I.P. Queen Elizabeth II!

No comments:

Post a Comment