Wednesday 7 September 2022

Dorset - Puddletown Water Meadows Bardolf Farm - Cattle Egret Mooove Over!

When I set out this morning I looked like a pack horse. If I was going to survive a day out in the elements then measures had to be taken to ensure maximum comfort! Traveling light was not an option all I hoped was the vigil would pay off.

The Horse paddock was devoid of birds today a small flock of Mistle Thrush caught my eye as they bounced between the trees. Was this to be to be the only early sign of movement on a blustery and shower filled day?! I pressed on to my destination which was the side of the valley overlooking the River Piddle.

The morning passed and I had noted three Little Egrets moving around the River bed but there was now a bird amongst the cattle that feed along the valley. The bird was distant but maxed out scope views revealed a Cattle Egret! Boom a new species for my farm list! Now came the tricky bit getting photos! Many an attempt was made but the bill was blurred to the point you couldn't confirm id. Disaster!

The bird remained for around two and a half hours with the cattle eventually moving closer into the area in front of me. The Egret flew off away from the herd! Nooo! 

About ten minutes later a heavy shower had the cattle seeking refuge against the far hedgerow and the Cattle Egret re-appeared landing at the feet of one disgruntled cow! Phew! It still took a while to get a shot but at least this record was nailed! The bird departed with some Herring Gull that it had disturbed during flight!

Had I not been prepared today I would have missed this bird. Cattle Egret are scattered about the county the biggest flock tend to roost at Abbotsbury. I have seen several on a flooded field at Waddock Cross but not on the water meadows. Hugo mentioned they tend to come in late in the evening but as the seasons move on the cattle are housed overnight reducing the chance of seeing this species on the farm!

The farm side of the water meadows has the most water at present therefore a few more stake-outs will be in order! I seem to be on a roll but I wonder how long it will last. Tomorrow is predicted to be a wash out which means a trip to the gym! But that could change I have one eye on the sky!

No comments:

Post a Comment