Saturday 9 May 2015

Global Big Day!

I took part in the Global Big Day hosted by eBird and Cornell Lab. The idea was for birders across the world to log as many species as they could by visiting any place that had birds. The aim was for between 3000 – 4000 species to be recorded. Full site counts are then logged on eBird and a world day list is created.

Beddington Farm was the first site I covered with some help from the regulars. 61 species were recorded with Tree Sparrow, Wheatear, Whinchat and Peregrine the hi-lites.

Thundry Meadow was my second choice of venue where woodland birds would feature in the species list. Spotted Flycatcher, Cuckoo, Great Spotted and Green Woodpeckers, Pheasant, Buzzard, Sparrowhawk and a Red Kite featured. Pied and Grey Wagtail was noted along the River Wey.


Marsh Tit, Nuthatch, Garden Warbler and Nightingale did not make an appearance on this visit which was disappointing. The wind was howling and being mid afternoon probably didn’t help.

My last stop was at Tices Meadow where waders and terns would be added to the day list. Nightingale did not let me down at this site. Greenshank, LRP and Common Tern were also noted.


Thirteen hours of birding flew by and I made my way home to sort out and complete the admin for submission to eBird. A great idea and a good days birding! Roll on the next Big Day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment