Friday 27 October 2017

Beddington Farm / Surrey VC - Rarity Double Whammy!!


The day started out at Beddington Farm on my corner with Frank counting passage migrants with the vein hope that we might get sight of a Hawfinch or even hear a Yellow Browed Warbler!

The Farm did not have the latter species but a local Wallington garden did with the bird appearing for a second day. It was potentially too dangerous to abandon the Farm when this news broke having seen this species in Surrey Vice County in the past. I arranged a visit after the Farm vigil had finished arriving early afternoon.
I spent around three hours attempting to photograph a rather secretive and lethargic Yellow Browed Warbler which favoured trees in a neighbouring garden. 
The bird called intermittently just to let the two observers know it was still in the vicinity. I guess now I have the pictures I will be writing the species account for the records committee. A good photo always makes life easy though!
The vizmig at the Farm was also productive with a stream of 1400 Wood Pigeon and an almost annoying 721 Parakeet heading S/SW. Chaffinch were also seen in numbers along with Meadow Pipit, Skylark, Linnet, and Buzzard. The bird of the morning a Great White Egret was seen as a result of the pigeon count as Frank and I had our eyes constantly on the skies. This bird passed over the corner high S (which is some sixty foot higher than any other point of the Farm) which meant it probably would not have been seen from the hide. I am not sure if we will be using this vantage point come December!

The days double whammy was complete. No new species for me but great migrants passing through an inland county. Woo Hoo!!

2 comments:

  1. Oh my, I'm in Dorset and I live in Wallington! What's the chance that Bird will still be around on Monday!
    Frustrating.
    Good stuff with the GWE and YBW all in one day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Arjun the YBW was a bonus had two GWE in 4 days both fly overs... It pays to be on the mound early morning.. A great panoramic view if not a tad cold some days!

      Delete