Sunday 25 February 2018

Dorset - Gull and Shorebird Double!

I am not a great gull fan which is probably surprising as Beddington Farm is littered with them! But Ross’s Gull would be an immediate entry on my bird bucket list if I was at the stage of life to have one.
When news broke of a 1st winter bird in the Netherlands I raised an eyebrow and briefly pondered over a trip to see it. When I heard there was an adult frequenting the Weymouth area a plan was hatched at the first opportunity!
This small gull breeds on the Arctic Tundra and is described by Olsen and Larsson as a yearly straggler to temperate waters. I certainly did not expect an adult to take up temporary residence within driving distance from home.
The morning started at crazeee o clock allowing plenty of time to arrive at my first port of call Ferrybridge at dawn. The wind was bitterly cold and a scan of the area with the small group of birders seeking protection from the visitor centre produced a blank. I spoke to a guy who headed off to Lodmoor RSPB as I headed off to cover Radipole RSPB. The former was the better choice as I had a futile dash to Lodmoor missing the bird by five minutes.
I returned to Radipole to be flagged down in the carpark by the same guy who stated the gull was now at Ferrybridge. The horses were not spared and I was soon snapping away at the adult as it rested behind a scattering of sea weed. The bird remained for approximately five minutes before it flew off over the ridge and out to sea.
This was the last time I saw the bird but it was reported at Radipole later in the morning. In the meantime I had decided to catch up with a Stilt Sandpiper which was currently at Stanpit Marsh from Fishermans Bank. The BH23 3NG was a close on the opposite side to the opening to the marsh. The bird was feeding on the mudflats with Dunlin. This provided the perfect species comparison with the longer legs and overall larger size apparent.
The drive home was a very chirpy one with a lifer and a second addition to my UK tally to celebrate. I kept then windows up but got a couple of odd looks whilst stationary at traffic lights. I thought everyone knew Southern Freeze by Freeez! Woo Hoo!

2 comments:

  1. Congrats with the 2 birds, missed the Stilt Sand twice. Nice pics of the Ross's Gull too!

    ReplyDelete