Friday 9 November 2018

Epsom Downs Surrey - A Change of Scenery!


Just over a week ago I met up with birding and botanical guru Steve Gale who gave me a guided tour of Epsom Downs Surrey. Follow his blog here:-
http://northdownsandbeyond.blogspot.com/ 
I was pleasantly surprised at the potential of the place as a migrant trap and decided to take an early morning walk over the Downs. I did not expect much but wanted to gauge the popularity of the area with dog walkers, hikers and if the historical goings on in the area would impact on someone who just wanted to find and count birds!

I did not arrive at the crack of dawn but early enough to take some counts of birds frequenting the area. The morning was clear and sunny but there was a hefty SW wind which would keep birds low down in the scrub.
The first count involved the scattering of gulls that were loafing on the racetrack and the open area of the Downs. The majority were Herring with Black Headed and a Common Gull.  Small groups of Corvids were also amongst the gulls.


I made my way across to the stubble fields and was surprised at the number of Skylark singing and sparring with each other in flight. A few Goldfinch and Greenfinch were noted in flight. As I made my way down the gallop Redwing were noted feeding in the trees and bushes that were loaded with berries.

A total of twenty species were noted with only a couple of dog walkers encountered once away from the main area of the racecourse. An interesting walk which only took a couple of hours to complete, giving me some food for thought come spring and Autumn 2019!

No comments:

Post a Comment